What is Mesothelioma?
Mesothelioma is a relatively rare form of cancer that develops in the tissue that surrounds certain internal organs of the body, including the chest, heart and abdomen.Till a recent while ago, this disease was relatively unheard of outside medical circles in India. Most of the cases that are diagnosed now are because of the presence of malignant mesothelioma.
Most people who develop mesothelioma have worked on jobs where they inhaled asbestos, or they have been exposed to asbestos dust and fiber in other ways. It has also been suggested that washing the clothes of a family member who worked with asbestos can put a person at risk for developing mesothelioma.There is no link of mesothelioma with smoking.
Signs and Symptoms of Mesothelioma :
The primary source of mesothelioma is asbestos exposure.The primary source of mesothelioma is asbestos exposure. If you have been exposed to asbestos, please consult with your doctor immediately. Mesothelioma symptoms are very common and typical to other diseases, such as pneumonia, flu or stomach viruses. Therefore, doctors can misdiagnose mesothelioma for another illness. This delay in appropriate diagnosis costs the patient precious time.
Common symptoms of pleural mesothelioma include:
- Shortness of breath
- Weight loss
- Facial swelling
- Severe breathing difficulties
- Rasping voice
- Coughing up blood
- Back pain
- Fluid build up between the chest wall and lungs (known as pleural effusion)
- Night sweats
What Are Possible Treatments For Mesothelioma?
At this time there is no cure for malignant mesothelioma, the average life expectancy is about 12-18 months. However, the following may extend or add quality to the patient’s life:
- Radiation therapy is able to offer patient palliative therapy
- Chemotherapy with Doxorubicin is recommended for ambulatory patients and is continued as long as patient shows no progression in the disease.
- Photodynamic Therapy
- Anti-Angiogenesis Therapy
- Gene therapy
- Surgical Options are also available
Latest posts by sanjeeb panda (see all)
- How To Spy on Your SEO Competitors and Gain More Traffic ? - November 17, 2015
- Five Financial Traps All Businesses Must Avoid - June 20, 2015
- List of Documents For Getting Home Loans Approved - February 22, 2015